This herbal cough syrup is an excellent natural alternative to the store bought cold/cough syrups that are full of chemical compounds. It works so well, and is super easy to make, you’ll no longer have to suffer when the cold virus strikes.
This recipe soothes the throat, eases coughing, and promotes restful sleep.
- 1/4 cup Ginger Root (dried or fresh grated)
- 1/4 cup Chamomile
- 2 Tbls. Cayenne Pepper
- 1 quart Filtered or Distilled Water
- 3 Garlic Cloves, crushed
- 1/4 cup Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup Raw Honey
- Put water, ginger root, chamomile, and cayenne pepper in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer until liquid has reduced by about half.
- Once reduced remove from heat and stir in crushed garlic. Let sit for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Remove herbs by pouring mixture through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth.
- While still warm, mix 1 cup of liquid with vinegar and honey, stir well.
- Pour into airtight container or bottle.
- Store in fridge for up to 2 months.
Give 1 teaspoon to children over 2 years old, and 1 tablespoon to adults, as needed until symptoms subside.
Honey by itself naturally soothes a cough, and raw honey has anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal properties. It promotes body and digestive health, is a powerful antioxidant, and strengthens the immune system.
Ginger is naturally anti-inflammatory and has expectorant properties.
Chamomile soothes muscles, promotes restful sleep, and may cause drowsiness for some people.
Cayenne pepper contains the compound capsaicin, which acts as a pain reliever. Although capsaicin is what makes the peppers spicy, it interrupts the pain message between the nerves and the brain. Capsaicin also increases blood flow and promotes healing by warming and stimulating the nerves.
Garlic stimulates the immune system, and is also known for its anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal properties.
Raw apple cider vinegar has many beneficial uses. Not only does it have antiseptic, anti-viral, and anti-bacterial properties, it also provides trace minerals, vitamins, enzymes, and amino acids, that help boost the immune system and promote healing in the body.
FDA Disclaimer: The statements made here have not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. These statements are not intended to diagnose, treat or cure, or prevent any disease. This notice is required by the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act.